Ulitsa Yunosti 2, Moscow, 111402
The Italian House was used as a museum where various antiques were collected. The collection was situated in a vaulted gallery and in the rooms on the ground floor. The state rooms were on the first floor. They are furnished like the parlours for small receptions.
The original outlook of the pavilion didn’t completely preserve but during the restoration works in 1978–89 the original elements of its constructions, planning, decorative details аnd colour scheme were found out.
This part of the building has the planning of the 19th century. Its main decorative detail is a half-round niche and a marble statue of a young woman (unknown sculptor of the 18th century). There are bronze sconces (Russia, 2nd half of the 18th century) from both sides of the niche.
The room was a passage leading to another chambers. It was decorated with paintings but only one of them preserved. It’s the picture of an Italian artist Pietro Negri (c. 1635 – after 1677) Time Gains Victory over Love. The interesting elements of this interior are the unique cabinet with Florentine mosaic (Germany, the middle of the 18th century) and the chairs covered with stamped leather (Holland or Northern Germany, 1730s). The straw picture The Ruins made by an unknown craftsman of the second part of the 18th century and the vase with the tree decorated with porcelain flowers (China, 18th century) are considered to be remarkable examples of craftmanship.
The room as well as the one-flight staircase and the landing on the first floor has the 18th century planning. During the restoration works were reconstructed pine floors, carved details of the staircase and deep green shade of the walls. The bureau with rich carved ornament (Italy, the second half of the 17th century) is also placed in this room. The walls along the staircase are decorated with still lifes and landscapes of Dutch and Flemish artists of the 18th century.
The architectural construction of this room remained almost without any changes. Oak panels on the walls, mosaic rombus parquet resemble the study interiors of the Peter the Great epoch. The room is furnished with the set of elaborate wicker furniture made in France in 1760-70s. The Study is decorated with various kinds of painting: the celling painting Zephyr and Flora (1750s) made by serf artist Krassovsky P.G., the still lifes painted by unknown 18th century Dutch artists and the Flemish artist Piter Kastels III (1684-1749) and also the silhouette picture Woman and a Kid by unknown 18th century Russian artist.
The Hall is the largest and the smartest parlour of the Italian Cottage. Sunshine streaming through the glass door as well as the mirrors and the celling Diana (an unknown Russian artist, 18th century) make the Hall look even more specious.
The Hall had a special appointment – plenty of porcelain and marble statues, chrystal light fittings and gilded carved details on the frames of mirrors and on the console tables.
Now the Hall is furnished with painted carved arm-chairs, chairs (Russia, the second part of the 18th century) and the tables covered with marble tops (Germany, the middle of the 18th century).
The walls of the Passage-Room are covered with oak panels enriched with gilded fretwork. The chamber is also decorated with the paintings: two dessus-de-ports representing architectural landscapes and the fire-place dessus-de-glass Still life by unknown 18th century artists. The fire-place decoration is supplemented with the lamps (Russia, the second part of the 18th century). The Passage-Room is furnished with the German chairs made in the first quarter of the 18th century.
The Сorner Drawing-Room is the last one in the suite of state chambers, situated on the first floor in The Italian Cottage. It was treated as room for exhibiting paintings. The surface of the walls was almost completely covered with the canvases painted by European artists of the 17th and 18th centuries. Such manner of hanging was typical for the 18th century and due to this fact the corner room looks like a picture gallery.